Please pray for Garrett (and Matt). They are staying at the hospital tonight.
Yesterday evening he got a little bug bite on his face while we were having a bonfire at the neighbor's house. No big deal, right? I put some stuff on it. He seemed fine. He went to bed.
He got up this morning and it was a little swollen, but not too bad. By lunch his cheek was very swollen and his eye was swelling. So, after lunch I gave him some benadryl and he took his nap. When he got up, his eye was pretty much swelled closed and his cheek looked like he had the mumps (or worse). So, I called the doctor. We ended up having a 6:45 appt. By 7:15, I was on my way to the hospital. (I had Garrett and Rachel with me, Matt was home with the "big kids.") They drew blood for a culture and put in an IV for antibiotics. I told Garrett to sit still and he said, "Oh-tay" and didn't even flinch or cry when they poked him (for a LONG time in this Mommy's opinion). Soon the doctor decided that Garrett would be admitted for IV antiobiotics and observation. They are worried about infection in his eye, by his sinuses and possibly even close to the brain. (He also had a low grade fever by the time we got to the hospital.) After much checking and "begging", I was informed that Rachel would not be allowed to go to the pediatric floor with me and DEFINITELY could NOT spend the night. She is nursing pretty much exclusively (a little avacado, a little banana, a little sweet potato, but she's never had a bottle and doesn't even eat solids more than once a day, if that). Because of the food allergies in our family, I REALLY don't want to use formula for her if I can avoid it. So, Matt ended up coming to the hospital to relieve me while a neighbor read a book in the living room (the kids were in bed). Garrett had barely gotten upstairs when they informed Matt that Garrett would be in the hospital for at least 24-48 hours! Matt's sister, Dione, is going to help some, but I'm not sure how we are going to manange the logistics of this. Matt had a consultant fly in this afternoon for a project they are doing at work and they are paying him a LOT of money per day. Matt has really been getting ready for this and has a lot of responsibility for this project. So, he needs to go to work in the morning. My biggest thing is getting home to feed the baby AND not leaving Garrett alone at the hospital.
Please pray, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I went to a doctor's appointment about 5 hours ago and things have been crazy ever since!
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Michigan feels farther away than ever today - Gramma B
I wish I could be there to help you out...know that my prayers are with you--Kady A
Post a Comment