I've been meaning to post this for the past week and just haven't gotten around to it. But I thought it was worth it, even if it wasn't "new news."
Part One:
On Palm Sunday, Matt left right after church for a week of training in Salt Lake City. While he was gone, Garrett had to adjust to Mommy putting him to bed instead of Daddy. Some nights, I would lie down beside him and sing hymns to him. Since Easter was coming, I would often choose some of my favorite Easter hymns to sing. One of my personal favorites (both for content and the fact that it's just such a joyous song) is Christ Arose by Robert Lowry:
Low in the grave He lay, Jesus my Savior,
Waiting the coming day, Jesus my Lord!
Refrain:
Up from the grave He arose,
With a mighty triumph o’er His foes,
He arose a Victor from the dark domain,
And He lives forever, with His saints to reign.
He arose! He arose!
Hallelujah! Christ arose!
Vainly they watch His bed, Jesus my Savior;
Vainly they seal the dead, Jesus my Lord!
Refrain
Death cannot keep its Prey, Jesus my Savior;
He tore the bars away, Jesus my Lord!
Refrain
After Garrett started picking up on the words and tune to this song, he asked me a very serious question: "Mommy, why did He low in the gravy lay?" No matter how many times I tried to explain that "Jesus lay low in the grave" or that "He was lying in the grave," Garrett did not understand. Garrett can now sing all of the words to the song and is pretty much on key. Perhaps someday he will know what the song means and will no longer wonder what "gravy" has to do with burying people in a tomb and with Christ's Resurrection.
Part Two:
Another of Garrett's memorable sayings also occurred while Matt was in Utah. During that week, I ended up having 3 sick kids (high fever, aches, etc.). Garrett was the last to come down with this awful bug and he seemed pretty miserable. One time as I was changing his diaper, he said, "Mommy, my head really hurts." I replied, "I'm sorry that your head hurts, honey." He sweetly answered, "Mommy, you don't need to say sorry. You didn't hurt my head; something else did." Those kind of sweet moments melt a Mommy's heart.
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment